Hello January!! Statistics show that the number one New Year’s Resolution for most people is to lose weight, however, so many give up after a few weeks. I believe everyone has their own fitness path.
Being fit and staying healthy is a way of life. It is crucial to find a form of exercise that you LOVE! I myself have found a love for running and lifting weights.
You would never find me in Zumba or boxing class, or cycling outdoors. I wouldn’t enjoy those things. That is why I don’t suggest that everyone go to the gym and lift heavy weights 6 days a week. Find an exercise you enjoy, and you will find over time you will be so excited to do it that you couldn’t imagine not doing it! Make it a part of your life.
Besides exercising, I wanted to share something that has also changed my health, body, and mind. It’s called Clean Eating.
I used to eat whatever I wanted, healthy food, restaurant food and even fast food. I then would go on fad diets and juice cleanses to try and lose 10lbs, gained it back, found new diets to try, and it was just a cycle. I finally wanted to stop dieting and actually change the way I felt and looked, and just be healthy.
• Eat whole foods, plenty of veggies, and fruit.
• Eat lean meats, complex carbs, and healthy fats.
• Drink more water.
• Eliminate refined sugars, processed food, and artificial sweeteners.
• No calorie counting!
• Don’t skip meals.
• Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day.
• Prepare your own meals instead of eating out.
• Give yourself a cheat day or cheat meal once a week or follow the 80/20 rule where you eat clean 80% of the time.
• Find healthy substitutions, example Stevia instead if sugar, oat flour instead of white flour, Ezekiel bread & tortillas instead of white or whole wheat bread, Almond milk instead of whole milk, brown rice or quinoa instead of white rice and pasta, yams instead of white potatoes, greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
I guarantee if you slowly make these changes you will start to feel healthier, and the effects will not only be weight loss but you will have more energy, strength, and happiness! I know this because I have seen it in my own life! Make this your best year yet!
Cheers to 2014!!
Jessica “Jessie” Olsen is a mother of two, a wife, a health student & an aspiring figure competitor. She lost 75 pounds through exercise, lifting & clean eating. She hopes that her new found love of fitness & well-being will encourage & inspire you to stick with your personal fitness goals & live a happier, healthier life. You can also follow her on instagram at http://instagram.com/jessy_fit where she shares all aspects of her quest for healthiness & happiness.